Dr. Seuss's Birthday is March 2nd and you can celebrate his contribution to literacy, early childhood education, and children everywhere with this Dr. Seuss There's a Wocket In My Pocket phonics activity. This activity is geared towards kids ages 5-7 and early readers (see below for adaptations).
- Foam Core Posterboard
- colored mini envelopes (Mine came from The Dollar Tree)
- Word Strips (From the Dollar Tree)
- Black Marker
- Letter Stickers (optional)
If There's A Wocket In My Pocket, Then There's a _________ in my __________"
- Top in the mop
- Cat in the hat
- Ran in the can
- Star in the car
The Muffin Tn Kids matched the words according to their ending sounds.
...It doesn't have to make sense, the activity is to increase awareness of and teach ending word sounds like -ake, -an, -at, -en, -op, etc.
We reinforced the activity over dinner by talking about beginning and ending sounds...The word combos got pretty silly. I am sure Dr. Suess would be proud.
Tips, tricks and hints:
- Add photos to the envelopes to make it easier for pre-readers to participate
- Adapt this activity for pre-readers using only letters on the alphabet or numbers
Happy learning and Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss