Did you know that Reindeer have beards? Yep, they do! My family and I learned all about Reindeer last night at the holiday Christmas celebration at SeaWorld San Diego. It's all they could talk about all the way home. Here are some more fun and interesting facts about reindeer from the caretakers inside Santa's Village at Seaworld San Diego.
- Reindeer are part of the caribou family of mammals.
- Reindeer are herbivores and eat a variety of vegetation including pine branches, moss and wild mushrooms.
- Reindeer have "beards" of tufts of thick hair that protect their neck from the cold.
- The hair on a reindeer's body is hollow, which helps with insulation.
- Reindeers have furry noses. This helps protect their nose from the cold. If their nose was wet like a regular deer, it would freeze.
- Reindeers hooves click when they walk, this helps them find their way back to their herd and where the Christmas song line "Up on the housetop, click, click, click" comes from.
- Reindeers shed their antlers every year and it doesn't hurt them.
- Reindeer antlers are made of boney calcium rice substance, but they are missing the marrow that is found in mammal bones inside the body.
- Reindeer are quit docile animals and can be trained to come when called.
Thanks to our friends at SeaWorld San Diego for the sneak peek of all the fun that can be had at the San Diego theme park over the Christmas season including visiting the most famous reindeer of all, Rudolf!